Borrowing Library Materials
Apply for a Library Card
City of Riley Library Cards are free. Please bring the following to the library to get your free card:
- Valid photo identification
- Proof of current mailing address and telephone number
- Be in good standing with the Library
You must be age 18 or older to get a library card. For patrons under 18, a parent or guardian must be present to show identity and sign for the child. Library cards are good for five (5) years. New card holders are limited to two items on the initial visit to include movies or books but not audio books or musical CD's.
Guidelines for Borrowing Materials
Fees & Renewing Materials
- A patron may have 6 items loaned at one time but can only include three movies, musical CD's or audio books or any combination of.
- Please treat our materials with care. Do not mark, mutilate or scratch. Protect materials from weather, pets and food. If something does happen, please tell us. Many times a book may be saved by taking appropriate action.
- Books and audio books are loaned for a standard three week period, movies and music for one week. Books and audio books may be renewed up to an additional three weeks, movies and music for an additional week provided there is no one waiting to check out that particular item.
- Please return only the materials you have checked out at the Riley City Library. This includes NCKL rotating books (yellow spine labels). Do not return our materials to other libraries.
- You may receive reminders of material you have checked out.
- If you move and take our Library material with you, please contact us. Items must be returned or you are responsible for replacement cost.
Any book or movie past due is subject to a fine. Books are $0.10 per open day or $0.50 per week per book. Audio books are $0.25 per open day or $1.25 per week; movies and music are $0.50 per open day or $2.50 per week. All most or mutilated books, CD's, DVD's or tapes are subject to replacement cost. Overdue materials are charged $0.20 per day. Overdue videos and DVDs are charged $1 per day.
All fines and fees acquired in the amount of $5.00 or more will result in temporary suspension of all Library privileges.
Interlibrary Loan Policy
The Riley City Library (RCL) provides interlibrary loan service (ILL) to enhance and extend resources available to its users. Because the Library cannot purchase or subscribe to every useful resource, ILL is an essential service to meet the information needs of the community.